Sunday, May 31, 2009

Absolutely do not try this...

I got this idea that I'd make a 3-ply novelty yarn out of slubby singles. And here's the novelty: I'd dye the singles before I plied them.
After I plied them I planned to over-dye the yarn so it would have a multi-color effect. One of the singles was white and I was thinking that this would pick up the true color of the over-dye...

but that's not the effect I got. Absolutely do not try this with such a dark over-dye. It took the contrasting colors completely away. So that's one experiment that failed. (Quite a lot of time involved!)


This experiment seems more promising. I blended gray Shetland, black merino top, and silk scraps together on my drum carder.


I've only spun one bobbin of singles so far, but the effect of the colorful silk threads on the gray wool looks interesting.




2 comments:

UniquelymeNana said...

I like that idea, I was thinking of doing that with some wool that I washed and dyed. I've gotten some lovely silk bits from a friends and I think I will run the wool silk bits and maybe even some mohair and some sparkle and see what develops when I spin it up. You singles look awesome great job!!

Probably Jane said...

Good for you for posting your 'learning experience' as well as success. I'm sure you have the makings of some beautiful yarn on your bobbin.