A little blending experiment: tan merino top, grey rabbit, dark brown alpaca. Results: blended into an ugly muddy color but the rabbit made it SOFT. I didn't like it enough to make more than this little skein.
Deep in the bottom of my wool storage, I found this matted mohair that I've been carrying around for years. I do believe that it has lived in three houses. Someone washed this in a washing machine and ruined it. I adopted it thinking that I'd salvage it. Today I took the time to pick though it. I started with 1 1/2 lbs and ended with about 5oz. This is seriously SOFT too.
Speaking of wool storage, it is a miracle that I haven't had any problem with moths all these years. Today I decided to inspect everything closely and organize my storage.
I found so much that I had forgotten about. There's enough wool here to last me a long long time. No evidence of infestation was found. I organized dyed wool, roving, silk, etc in gallon-size zip lock bags. After going through it I found lots of fibers that I'd like to try to blend. I started a few blending experiments...more about that later.