Sunday, August 24, 2008

Black Eyed Susan, Part 2

Since I picked so many Black Eyed Susan flowers I decided to try making a dye using DECOMPOSITION. I filled a large jar with the flower heads, added water, and let it sit out for about 3 weeks. I did not stir it everyday. In fact, I found white mold growing. Last night I finally strained out most of the plant material and heated the remaining liquid to make the dye bath. I used a tin mordant on some hand spun wool. The dye bath was a murky brown and after 30 minutes I found a nice light yellow. I left one skein in the dye bath over night and in the morning I found it was the exact same color as the one that was left in for only 30 minutes. The last photo shows the comparison of the colors achieved with heat verses decomposition of the Black Eyed Susan.

No comments: