I cut little squares and began experimenting. Dying fabric and cellulose fiber is new to me. It was so much fun using these little squares because there was no harm done if I screwed it up. It's not as risky as dying a yarn that took 2 weeks to spin, right?
Normally I don't like cutch but on fabric it looked nice. I added iron to cutch and got a totally cool dark taupe. Marigold made a nice orange-yellow. I added tartaric acid to marigold and got a pale yellow.
I tried black tea and got a dull color. I used marigolds and back tea and it looked a little more interesting.
The house that we are trying to buy was built in 1912. I've looked at paint swatches of color palettes from that time period. Of course they only had natural pigments back then. Inspired by the old-timey colors and the linen swatches I was dying, I decided to make a color palette: cutch, marigold, cutch with iron, logwood with tartaric acid, and marigold with black tea! I showed the palette to my Hubby and he was not impressed. That's okay. I'll just keep day-dreaming of remodeling my future home.