While I was out on a hike in the Snoqualmie National Forest last week I found this clump of shelf mushrooms. Unfortunately I'm not very talented at identifying mushrooms so I can't tell you which kind it is. I did know it would make a good dye because it was very similar to the one I had used before. It's was dark reddish-brown on all parts.
I popped off a few pieces and took them home. I chopped them up on a cutting board and simmered them for about an hour. I added ammonia and some tin as a mordant. After straining off the dye and tossing out the mushroom pieces, I added some roving to the dye-bath and simmered it for a half hour or so. I let the wool sit in the dye-bath overnight to cool.
In the morning I rinsed it out. It smelled pretty bad so I soaked it in my favorite wool wash-- "Soak" in the scent called "Celebration". Yum.
I spun it up as a 3-ply worsted yarn. It's a perfect Autumn color.